In checking out the dates for Clean Up Australia this year, which by the way is 2 March, I came across these statistics:
- Australians are among the highest producers of waste, per person, in the world.
- An estimated 7 billion cigarette butts end up in Australian waterways, streets and parklands each year.
- 80 million plastic bags are dumped in Australia each year – creating a serious threat to our precious marine life.
- 37% of all items collected on Clean Up Australia Day 2004 were plastic – recycling one tonne of plastic saves enough energy to run a refrigerator for a month.
- To date, Clean Up Australia Day participants have collected over 200,000 tonnes of rubbish – that’s 4.7 million household wheelie bins!